Monday, January 27, 2014

About Pregnancy

Now that I've had my very own bundle of joy I have this overwhelming need to share my experience and findings during the whole journey. Partially this is aimed at my sister who is now expecting but this is also for any other new, soon to be mommy wading through the mass amounts of info and bullshit on the internet. I'm going to write a blog on pregnancy, childbirth and having a newborn for anyone that cares :)


First off:


  • Relax. There's so much information out there about the million and one things that can go wrong during your pregnancy. STOP. Just stop. You aren't doing you or your baby any good stressing about things you don't have control over. Instead, focus on the things you can control. Take care of yourself. Get lots of rest--it's exhausting growing a tiny human! Never again in life will you have such a good excuse to "take it easy." 
  • Listen to your doctors but DO NOT hesitate to seek second or even third opinions if something doesn't feel right to you. I switched OB's because mine was a pinhead who wouldn't take the time to listen to me and address my concerns (which were legitimate--I had preecclampsia and this ninny never even mentioned that I had high blood pressure.)
  • Eat, even when you're wrestling the ugly beast Morning Sickness. It helps. Even if all you want is bread and fruit like I did. Just don't use it as an excuse to go nuts and "eat for two" because truth is we only need to consume about 300 more calories a day when pregnant. What helped me was thinking, "Would I feed this to my baby?" (I mean when said baby were able to eat grown up food.)
  • Mostly, it goes by fast even if it seems like an eternity. My pregnancy ended very suddenly at 37 weeks when I was just starting to get miserable and wonder how much longer I had. I found myself sitting in the hospital holding my belly thinking, "What if I'm not ready?" Even if you are miserable now, you will one day miss being pregnant. I didn't mind being pregnant but I wasn't in love with it. But I loved how I felt. I've never felt so beautiful in my life and I miss that. I also miss feeling him move around inside my belly and the way my husband would talk to the belly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment