Friday, August 14, 2009

But it's a Classic...

"'And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!'"

- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights, Ch. 16


This last weekend I reread Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'd read it almost ten years ago so I'd forgotten most of the story. I usually avoid books that I think will be painful or disturbing but this one's a classic so I read it again. I'd forgotten how dark and twisted it was. The main characters make you want to scream up till the end where the author attempts to turn the story around with a happy ending (which is kind of like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.)

Still, it's a great book. But now I feel the need to read something bright and happy. Maybe Pride and Prejudice (even though I just read it not too long ago). I could use a stroll in the park with Mr. Darcy.

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment